Friday, January 4, 2013

Shenanigans!

New Years and Christmas have both passed, and 2013 is starting off well! I just thought I would share how each of those 'big days' went with a few pictures! : )

I talked about my Christmas day before, so I will just post a few pictures! They are all taken from a part of town that we call Loyola (it is where the Jesuit fathers stay and work). It is set up on a hill a few kilometers away from the downtown, market and where we live, so it was the perfect opportunity to take a panoramic picture of all Wau.

This first picture shows most of the downtown of Wau off in the distance, with the closer houses being the Loyola area. The white dot on the horizon, on the right side of the picture is a hotel, we live pretty close to that hotel!


 Same as the first picture, you can see Wau off in the distance, with the Loyola area up front!



You can see the big UN tents over on the left side and a bit in the center. The UN camp is huge!

Now that the pictures finished loading, I notice it is hard to see everything... I was just using my phone... sorry about the quality! : (

As for December 31st, we had a fun game day for the children! To celebrate the new year, Christmas and the feast of the Holy Innocent, we organized a day with some games and prizes to be won for all. Then the day finished with lunch!

Each game was worth a ticket, and tickets could be redeemed for prizes (suckers, biscuits, pens, notebooks etc.) We had a...

 three legged race!


 a fishing sort of game with bottles and sticks

 sack races... and many other games!

And, as mentioned, we finished with lunch for everyone!

All in all, I think the day went pretty great. Although, I think I miss-priced the prizes... sweets were 2 tickets, pens were 5 and notebooks were 7, i gave out about 200 sweets and just about 20 notebooks. haha As soon as they would get 2 tickets they would come straight for the sweets! (But eventually we ran out and they had to save up for the pens and notebooks and other prizes)

The beautiful thing was- One boy bought about 6 lollipops and I asked him if he was going to be sharing them to everyone else... and he said his sisters were at home that he was going to share with! So that was really nice to hear!

Anyways, overall, the holidays went pretty well and all had fun! : ) New Years day was pretty anti climactic. Just life as normal! I did stay up until midnight though, we had a nice prayer service in our community right at midnight... great way to ring in the new year! :)

Peace to all!




1 comment:

  1. 1) YES! on the Loyola thing :D
    2) What did the kids get for lunch? It looks like pizza... but that may just be a mirage that my mind has created due to severe withdrawal from slices of perfectly spun dough, oil-soaked cheese, and bacon
    3) I've found the kids here think of others so much. It's a wonderful trend to notice.

    ReplyDelete